Health Matters in Sustainability
Nuvoco is an entity that believes in a sustainable future and we take ample measures to ensure the same. One of our pivotal areas of concern is women’s health and more importantly of that of adolescent girls. To monitor and address this issue, the company has taken an initiative to form Girls Health Groups (GHG) as part of the CSR initiative at Sonadih Cement Plant.
The key problem areas that this group focuses upon are:
- Lack of knowledge on issues related to adolescent girls health.
- Addressing the taboo of discussing on issues related to menstrual health.
- Lack of access to sanitary pads and related advice on related issues.
With the intent to address these issues 22 Girls Health Groups (GHG) across 13 villages were formed. These groups helped us reach out to more than 1000 girls between 13 to 18 years of age. The GHGs operated with the following activities:
- Monthly meetings and awareness sessions for girls by lady doctor in all the villages. Sessions in government schools were also conducted.
- Special medical camps were hosted regularly by a resident lady doctor.
- To boost awareness and initiate the practice of using sanitary napkins, GHGs were developed as a point of sale for distributing sanitary napkins. Almost all girls and women associated have since started using sanitary pads.
- Established a platform for having an open dialogue on health related issues and other social problems.
Small efforts in the right direction can make a world of difference. This is just our first step. We hope we can bring about a bigger awareness on the matter in future.